Professional Development Portfolio
The Professional Development Portfolio is linked to the unit
lecture programme, which you will notice, is very industry oriented.
Specifically, for each lecture, except for the very first lecture (Introduction to CITS3200)
presented by Michael Wise, you are to write an approximately one page precis and reflection
on the lecture.
You are to submit the set of precis as a single .docx/.odf file electronically via
The first part, approximately half a page, should be a summary of the main points
covered by the lecture.
The second part should be a reflection on the messages you have taken from
the lecture and how you think they may be useful to your career as it evolves.
Think of this not only in terms of entry-level positions that you will likely occupy
at the start of your career, but also how these ideas may be useful as you move
to more managerial/supervisory roles, or being companies of your own.
The review for each lecture will be assessed using the rubric below, with the final mark out of 20 being
the mean of the scores, times 2.
The quality of English expression is very much part of the rubric above.
Among other things, this means writing full paragraphs, rather than
What we are looking for is evidence of your own understanding and
thoughts about the different topics, not merely a recitation of
the text on lecturers' slides.
- 0-1 Not submitted, or totally incomprehensible
- 2-3 Very substandard, but glimmers of understanding about the issues
being discussed and poor coverage of the lecture content, or major flaws in the writing
- 4-5 Substandard. Some understanding about the issues being discussed and
okay coverage of the lecture content, or significant flaws in the writing, e.g. use
of tenses, singulars and plurals
- 6-7 Showing average understanding of the intent of the issues raised in the lecture and beginning of insight about how they may be influential in the future. Or, some lapses in grammar or punctuation
- 8-9 Genuine understanding of the intent of the lecture and how that information may be influential in the future; Clear writing, only very minor language issues
- 10 Stunning work (use this mark sparingly).