A Personal View on Project Management Tools
I had a play with the
free project management tools listed in Wikpedia
available last night and have provided a quick summary (my personal
- Surprisingly similar to MS Project, very easy to use.
- Great features but hobbled to promote purchase of commercial
- Features disabled include, save as PDF, print options to scale to
- Also has nagware (asks for donation at startup)
- Quite simplistic, but it works.
- Not very similarity to MS Project (won't aid transition to a
commercial tool much for students)
- Terms & conditions state it can only be used for evaluation for 30
- Surprisingly hard to get started with, you really need to read the
- Not designed or Windows, only Linux
- Part of a bigger office package you might not want to install.
- Does not appear to support Windows at this time (someone is working
on a port)
Thus it looks like free solution requires a compromise. OPENPROJ is good
for learning scheduling but I'm not sure if you can output/print a
schedule in a reasonable way due to disabling of features. Looks like I
am stuck with MS Project for a bit longer.....
July 30, 2008